U.S. Visas: L-1B Blanket
An L-1B Blanket visa is issued to intra-company transferees with “specialized knowledge” of the technology, processes or procedures of a U.S. company and its foreign-related entity.
The “Blanket ” visa is used for U.S. companies who have already received a blanket L approval from the USCIS. In a blanket petition, the L-1B Beneficiary applies for the visa directly at a U.S. Consulate abroad as opposed to filing the petition initially with the USICS.
What are the Requirements for an L-1B Blanket Visa?
VISANOW can prepare the L-1B Blanket application if the applicant is presently in the U.S. in valid status or if the applicant is outside the U.S. In any event, the actual blanket application will be made at a U.S. Consulate abroad.
An L-1B Blanket visa application must meet the following three requirements:
- The US employer (“Petitioner”) must have an approved L Blanket petition that includes the non-U.S. firm that employed the Beneficiary;
- The US employer (“Petitioner”) must be affiliated with the company abroad, as a branch, subsidiary, or affiliate.
- The L-1B Beneficiary must have been employed at the company abroad in a specialized knowledge capacity for at least one of the previous three years before the L-1B visa application is filed with the USCIS.
- The L-1B Beneficiary must be coming to work at the United States company in a specialized knowledge capacity.
- The L-1B Beneficiary must be a “professional” employee i.e. generally he/she must have a Bachelor’s degree.
“Specialized knowledge” is considered either of the following:
- A special knowledge of the company product and its application in international markets or has an advanced level of knowledge of processes and procedures of the company; or,
- An advanced level of professional or technical expertise, and proprietary knowledge of the organization’s services, products, technology, strategies, or any other corporate function that is essential to the U.S. company’s successful operation.
How Long is the L-1B Blanket Visa Valid?
Generally, L-1B Blanket visa holders are initially admitted to the U.S. for a three year period. An L-1B Blanket visa holder may request a one-time two year extension of the L-1B status.
VISANOW can assist both in the preparation of the initial L-1B Blanket petition and also in the subsequent L-1B extension