U.S. Visas: P-1
A P-1 visa is issued to members of entertainment groups, individual athletes, and members of athletic teams. P-1 classification also includes essential support personnel for the primary P-1 applicant.
What are the Requirements for a P-1 Visa?
VISANOW can prepare and file the P-1 application if the applicant is presently in the U.S. in valid status or if the applicant is outside the U.S.
Eligibility for P-1A Visa Holders – Athletes & Athletic Teams:
A P-1A athlete or athletic team must be coming to the U.S. temporarily, solely for the purpose of performing in a competition, event, or performance.
A P-1A individual athlete or team must also be internationally recognized. This means they must have demonstrated a high level of achievement evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered. They must be renowned, leading or well known in more than one country.
The P-1A visa category has also been recently expanded to include the minor league professional athletes under certain circumstances.
A P-1A visa applicant must have the following:
- A tendered contract with a major U.S. sports league or team, or a tendered contract in an individual sport commensurate with international recognition in that sport, and
- Documentation of at least two of the following:
- Significant participation in a prior seasons in majors;
- International competition with a national team;
- Significant participation in a prior season for U.S. college or university or intercollegiate competition;
- Written statement from U.S. official in sport about a person or team’s international recognition;
- Written statement from expert or sport’s media as to international recognition;
- Team or individual ranking; or,
- Significant honor or award in a sport.
Eligibility for P-1B Visa Holders – Entertainment Group:
A P-1B entertainer must be coming to the U.S. temporarily to perform as a member of an entertainment group. Individual entertainers do not qualify for P-1 status and must instead seek admission to the U.S. as an O-1, P-2, P-3, or H-2B visa holder.
The P-1B applicant must perform with or be an essential part of an entertainment group that is internationally recognized. This means that the group must have demonstrated a high level of achievement evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered. They must be renowned, leading or well known in more than one country.
The P-1B Performer generally must have had a sustained and substantial relationship with the group over a period of at least one year.
P-1A visa holders (athlete) may be admitted to the U.S. for a period of up to 5 years. A one-time 5 year extension may also be filed. P-1A petitions for an athletic team and P-1B petitions for entertainment groups may not exceed 1 year.
VISANOW can assist both in the preparation of the initial P-1 application and also in the P-1 extension application.