U.S. Visas: A-1 Visa
An A-1 visa is issued to diplomatic personnel such as ambassadors, public ministers, career diplomatic officers and consular officers, as well as members of their immediate families.
What are the requirements for an A-1 visa?
VISANOW can prepare the A-1 application either if the applicant is presently in the US in valid status, or if the applicant is currently outside of the US.
Primary A-1 visa holders must be coming to the US on behalf of their national government to engage solely in official activities for that government. Although there may be government interest or control in a given organization, this is not in itself the defining factor to determine whether the applicant qualifies for an A visa. Rather, the particular duties or services that will be performed must be governmental in character or nature.
Dependents of an A-1 visa holder include the following members of the immediate family, provided that they habitually reside in the same household as the principal visa holder:
- The visa holder’s spouse.
- Unmarried children under the age of 21.
- Unmarried children under the age of 23 who are full-time students at a post-secondary educational institution.
- Unmarried children under the age of 25 who are full-time students at a post-secondary educational institution, if 1). a formal bilateral employment agreement permitting their employment in the U.S. was signed prior to November 21, 1998, and 2). such bilateral employment agreement does not specify 23 as the maximum age for employment of such children.
- Unmarried children who are physically or mentally disabled to the extent that they cannot adequately take care of themselves and cannot establish and maintain their own households.
Can A-1 dependents be employed?
Dependents of the A-1 visa holder may work under certain circumstances, i.e. if there is a formal bilateral employment agreement or an informal reciprocal agreement, if they are a national of that country. The employment application must first by made to the Department of State and then, if approved, to the USCIS.
How long is an A-1 visa valid?
An A-1 visa holder is admitted to the US for the duration of status, i.e. for the duration of his or her official duties.
Consult with us today!
There’s no need to wait – create your account today with VISANOW and begin the application process today! Start your A-1 visa application online with VISANOW’s safe, secure, and innovative online technology.