U.S. Visas: L-1A Blanket
An L-1A visa is issued to intra-company transferees at a managerial or executive level. The L-1A visa is also issued to intra-company executive or managers coming to the US to open a new entity affiliated with a foreign entity.
The “Blanket ” visa is used for US companies who have already received a blanket L approval from the USCIS. In a blanket petition, the L-1A Beneficiary applies for the visa directly at a US Consulate abroad as opposed to filing the petition initially with the USICS.
VISANOW can prepare the L-1A Blanket application if the applicant is presently in the U.S. in valid status or if the applicant is outside the U.S. In any event, the actual blanket application will be made at a U.S. Consulate abroad.
An L-1A Blanket visa application must meet the following five requirements:
- The US employer (” Petitioner “) must have an approved L Blanket petition that includes the non-U.S. firm that employed the Beneficiary;
- The US employer (“Petitioner”) must be affiliated with the company abroad, as a branch, subsidiary, or affiliate.
- The L-1A Beneficiary must have been employed at the company abroad at a managerial or executive level for at least one of the previous three years before the L-1A visa application is made at the U.S. Consulate.
- The L-1A Beneficiary must be coming to work at the United States company as an executive or manager.
- The L-1A Beneficiary must be a “professional” employee i.e. generally he/she must have a Bachelor’s degree.
A “manager” engages in the following activities:
- Manages an organization, department, subdivision or function;
- Supervises and controls the work of other supervisory, professional or managerial employees or manages an “essential function”;
- Has the authority to make personnel decisions or to function at a “senior level”; and,
- Has discretion over the day-to-day working of the business or function for which he/she has authority
An “executive” engages in the following activities:
- Manages an organization or a major component/function of that organization;
- Has the authority to establish goals and policies;
- Has a wide latitude in discretionary decision-making; and,
- Is supervised only by higher-ranking executives, the board of director or stockholders of the company. .
Generally, L-1A Blanket visa holders are initially admitted to the U.S. for a three year period. An L-1A visa may be extended in two year increments up to a total of seven years.
If the L-1A visa holder is coming to the U.S. to open a new office, he/she will be initially admitted for one year.
VISANOW can assist both in the preparation of the initial L-1A Blanket petition and also in any subsequent L-1A extensions.